IRT played a key role in the introduction of DVB. Despite the successful standardisation of DVB, unanswered questions remain in regard to technical infrastructure, i.e. platforms. This is particularly true of digital Pay-TV services. On account of corresponding problems – especially a potentially distorted TV market in favour of certain providers – public broadcasting organisations fear that the digital broadcasting of their programmes could be endangered by hurdles or biases. IRT is playing an active role in developing new open standards.
- Observing markets for new technical trends
- Evaluating the accessibility of new systems, new distribution methods, new technical infrastructures and new technologies (HDTV, IPTV, etc.) as regards broadcasting
- Generating technical requirements on behalf of public broadcasting organisations so that content may be freely disseminated
- Representing the interests of broadcasting organisations on national and international committees
- Ensuring accessibility to new platforms and terminal devices (rights management, copy protection, etc.)
- Consulting and advising of broadcasting organisations
Further information on MPEG-Video Encoding