Production systems in TV and radio broadcasting increasingly rely on computer software. In addition, production processes will in future run at least partially – if not entirely – automatically. This transition means that individual software components will need to be combined to constitute a harmonious, IT-based production system, and that software modules will have to be adapted to satisfy the requirements of future production systems.
IRT analyses the specification and implementation of interfaces necessary for the planning, substitution, and extension of software and hardware components in a complex overall system. One of our core specialities is the expert advising of broadcasters and manufacturers concerning the interfaces required for software-based production systems.
IRT services in the television sector
- Guidance and support during the coordination of equipping
- Revision of the technical guidelines for creating TV productions
- Advice on studio and archive issues: Notifying and aiding broadcasters and their committees on current production/archive matters
- Key contributions to the Television System Service project group: Providing assistance to broadcasters during the definition, design, and implementation of new methods and processes in measurement engineering and system service
- Technical guidelines
IRT services in the radio sector
- Operational issues specific to radio, e.g. the allocation and administration of identification codes regarding service information in FMRDS, DAB and for TMC
- Helping broadcasters with the implementation of new services as well as the oversight of well-established systems (e.g. RDS, TMC)
- Planning assistance and the development of concepts for building and modifying studios
- Audio coding and cascading of codecs
- Analysing and optimising workflows
- Multichannel production and integration into existing studios or playout set-ups
- Verifying via tests that components and interfaces comply with standards
Moreover, IRT issues the Technical Guidelines and Specifications of Germany’s public broadcasters.
Further information on Technical Guidelines and Specifications
Image Copyright: BR, Foto Wenzel