The technical quality of the encoders, transcoders and decoders used in the production chain is becoming increasingly important. Furthermore, a cascading of such devices has an impact to the quality.
IRT investigates and evaluates new codecs and develops planning parameters for production platforms and program broadcasting with the aim of supporting broadcasters and equipment manufacturers to rely on the right technology trend on the one hand and to achieve the desired technical quality levels efficiently on the other.
In this context, the IRT evaluates codecs that are preferred in acquisition and production (AVCUltra, XAVC, etc.) as well as the video coding standard High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), which is used especially in contribution and distribution.
Regarding the quality of encoders, transcoders, converters, decoders, cascading of codecs and conformity to standards, IRT offers test services in its own test studio, with (U)HD servers for uncompressed video:
- Distribution encoder tests for image quality from SDTV up to 2160p and video coding standards HEVC, H.264 and MPEG-2 (anonymous comparison on demand)
- Conformity tests regarding DVB signalling
- Contribution encoder tests for their image quality in UHD, HD, SD and the MPEG-2, H.264, H.265 and JPEG 2000 standards
- Converter tests for up, down and cross conversions
- Subjective tests by Experts Viewing using current displays (if required also subjective tests according to ITU-R BT.500)
- Objective tests using PSNR calculation with subsequent subjective evaluation
- Customer-specific consulting regarding the optimal approach for quality tests